Thermomix cheese and bacon rolls are a beloved bakery treat, with their soft and fluffy interior contrasting deliciously with the salty savories of the crispy bacon and oozing cheese on top.
Recreating these at home using your Thermomix leads to rolls even better than what you’ll find at your local bakery for a fraction of the cost. This guide will walk you through everything you need to know to make incredible cheese and bacon rolls yourself.
An Overview of Thermomix Cheese and Bacon Rolls 🙂
Cheese and bacon rolls consist of a base made from a yeasted bread dough that is then shaped into rolls. While the dough rises for a second time, a cheese and bacon topping is prepared. Once the rolls have grown sufficiently, the cheese and bacon topping is placed on top, and the rolls are baked until golden brown.
The result is fluffy, airy rolls that emerge from the oven with deliciously melted cheese and crispy bits of bacon on top. Every bite is a perfect medley of flavors and textures. The saltiness of the bacon complements the gooeyness of the melted cheese beautifully. And when encased in the pillowy soft bread of the roll, it makes for a delicious snack or meal that is crave-worthy.
Cheese and bacon rolls resemble a trendy bakery item at Bakers Delight. But the homemade version allows you to control the quality of ingredients going into your rolls. And making them yourself saves a lot of money compared to buying them pre-made.
As far as flavor combinations go, the mixture of cheese and bacon is hard to top. The recipe is versatile enough to play around with different cheeses and bacon to suit your tastes. However you make them, these rolls deliver a satisfying depth of flavor that speaks to everyone’s cheesy, meaty cravings.
Cheese and Bacon Roll Ingredients
What makes these rolls so delicious is that the ingredient list is short and straightforward, with components that all serve essential purposes. Here is an overview of what goes into cheese and bacon rolls.
For the Dough:
- Flour – 2 cups – Using baker’s flour will produce the lightest, airiest texture.
- Yeast – 1 Tablespoon active dry yeast helps the dough to rise. Be sure your yeast is fresh.
- Sugar – 1½ teaspoon – A small amount of sugar feeds the yeast.
- Salt – 1 teaspoon of salt is necessary for proper dough structure and flavor balance.
- Water – 1¼ cups Lukewarm water optimizes yeast activity.
- Oil – 1 Tablespoon of oil enriches the dough, resulting in a softer crumb.
- Bread improver (optional) – 1 teaspoon helps create an even lighter, fluffier crumb.
For the Topping:
- Cheese – Grated cheese that will melt nicely, like cheddar or mozzarella.
- Bacon – Crispy cooked bacon crumbled into bits.
One of the nice things about this recipe is that you don’t need any special equipment beyond essential baking tools. Here is what you’ll need:
- Thermomix® – This versatile kitchen appliance makes mixing and kneading the dough a breeze. It can also easily shred the cheese and chop the bacon.
- Mixing bowls – Activating the yeast, raising the dough, etc.
- Baking tray – Lined with parchment paper for easy transfer of the rolls.
- Parchment paper – To line the baking sheets for a non-stick surface.
- Cooling racks – Allows airflow underneath the baked rolls to prevent sogginess.
And that’s it! The Thermie does most of the heavy lifting in this recipe.
Here is a comprehensive walkthrough of how to make these top-rated cheese and bacon rolls. From start to finish, it will take you approx 1.5 hours.
1. Activate the Yeast
- In the TM bowl, stir the warm water, yeast, and sugar for 20 sec at speed 4.
- Allow to sit for 5-10 minutes until foamy (froth) indicates the yeast is active.
A foamy yeast mixture ensures your dough will rise properly. If it doesn’t foam, your yeast may be expired.
2. Make the Dough
- In the TM bowl, combine the flour, salt, bread improver (if using), and oil with the yeast mixture.
- Mix for 5 sec speed 7.
- Then knead for 3 minutes.
- Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover it, and set it aside to rise for 1 hour or until doubled.
The first rise allows the dough to develop flavor and structure before shaping.
3. Shape the Rolls
- Once doubled in size, punch down the dough to deflate it.
- Divide into 12 equal pieces and shape into round rolls.
- Place into a warm spot on a parchment-lined baking sheet and cover again.
- Allow to rise for 30 minutes as you prep the topping.
Shaping into rolls now gives them time to proof up before baking.
4. Prepare Topping While Dough Rises
- In the TM, combine the grated cheese and chopped bacon.
- Mix briefly to distribute ingredients.
- Set aside, ready to top the rolls with.
Multi-tasking makes this recipe even faster!
5. Top Rolls & Bake
- Once rolls look puffy, use a knife to score the tops in an x shape.
- Preheat oven to 356 Fahrenheit / 180 degrees (fan-forced)
- Brush with egg wash (optional, but makes them shinier).
- Top with cheese and bacon evenly.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
The egg wash and cuts on top allow steam to escape for maximum rise.
6. Enjoy Your Cheese & Bacon Rolls!
- Cool briefly before tearing apart and devouring!
- Best fresh from the oven, but extra rolls reheat nicely.
Serve immediately to experience these at their glorious, melt-in-your-mouth best!
While that may seem like many steps, the Thermie makes the process fast and hands-off for the most part. Outside of just a few minutes of actively mixing, kneading, and shaping, you can let time and your appliance do most of the work. And the results are so incredibly worth it!
Part of what makes cheese and bacon rolls such a versatile recipe is that they pair beautifully with all kinds of soups, sides, and main courses. Here are some serving suggestions:
- Enjoy rolls warm from the oven for breakfast or brunch
- Serve alongside hearty soups like broccoli cheddar or potato bacon
- Stuff with eggs, cheese, and bacon for a breakfast sandwich
- Make mini cheeseburger sliders on sliced rolls
- Bake up a batch for a party or picnic appetizer
- Pack in school lunches to enjoy at room temperature
Cheese and bacon rolls are delicious any time of day and perfect for nearly any occasion! The complex flavors make your tastebuds sing whether they play a starring role or are served straight out of the oven.
Storing and Freezing Leftover Rolls
One of the significant bonuses of this recipe is that while cheese and bacon rolls taste best straight from the oven, you can easily store leftovers for later or make a big batch to freeze. Here are some storage guidelines:
Stored at Room Temp:
- Allow rolls to cool completely after baking
- Place in an airtight container or bag
- Keeps at room temp for 2-3 days
- To serve, refresh by heating briefly in an oven
Stored in the Fridge:
- Follow the same cooling and storing process
- Keeps refrigerated for 4-5 days
- Can microwave to reheat as needed
To Freeze Extras:
- Cool rolls thoroughly first
- Freeze unbaked shaped dough rolls on a tray, then transfer them to a bag
- Or freeze-baked entirely and cooled rolls
- Frozen rolls last 2-3 months
- Defrost overnight in the fridge, then reheat gently
Having a stash of these tasty rolls in your freezer means you can enjoy melty, bacon-y goodness whenever the craving strikes!
Cleaning up your TM5 mixing bowl and Blade
After using your TM5 mixing bowl and blade, it’s important to clean them properly to maintain their performance and longevity. Start by removing excess food from the bowl and blade using a spatula or brush. Then, wash them with warm, soapy water and a non-abrasive sponge.
Make sure to thoroughly dry the components before reassembling them. This simple maintenance routine will ensure that your TM5/TM6 mixing bowl and blade are always ready for your next cooking adventure.
Extra Tips and Variations
While the essential ingredients for cheese and bacon rolls deliver incredible results, you can play around with adapting this recipe. From changing up flavors to getting creative with shapes, here are some ideas:
Try Different Cheeses: Sharp cheddar, mozzarella, Swiss, provolone, and Gouda all work nicely. Mix it up!
Experiment With Other Meats: Pancetta, prosciutto, ham, and sausage can stand in for bacon, too.
Make Them Vegetarian: Skip the meat and use mushrooms, caramelized onions, or roasted veggies.
Adapt To Dietary Needs: Use gluten-free flour, vegan cheese, and dairy-free milk to make it work for any diet.
Get Creative With Shapes: Make pull-apart monkey bread, wreaths, or pinwheels for fun changes.
Sweeten Things Up:
Add a cinnamon swirl filling with butter, brown sugar, walnuts, and raisins for a dessert version.
The possibilities are endless when customizing this flexible and reliable recipe. Part of the fun is tweaking it to create your perfect cheese and bacon roll!
Recreating bakery-style cheese and bacon rolls at home is easier than you might think, thanks to how convenient the Thermomix makes mixing, kneading, and shaping the dough. In just over an hour, you can bite into freshly baked rolls boasting a perfectly fluffy interior with crispy, salty bacon and gloriously melted cheese.
Part of what makes this recipe so versatile is how amenable it is to substitutions and customizations. You can play around with dough shapes like monkey bread or dessert versions with a sweet filling.
No matter how you modify them, cheese and bacon rolls always make for a crave-worthy treat! With the storage guidance provided, you can keep enjoying this ultimate flavor pairing for days to come fresh from the oven or straight from the freezer whenever a cheesy, meaty carb fix calls your name.
Q: What are Thermomix Cheese and Bacon Rolls?
Cheese and Bacon Rolls are delicious savory bread rolls filled with cheddar cheese and crispy bacon made using a TM machine.
Q: How can I make this recipe?
To make Cheese and Bacon Rolls, follow the recipe provided using your Thermomix® machine. It’s a simple and easy-to-follow recipe.
Q: What ingredients are needed to make these rolls?
The ingredients for Bacon and Cheese Rolls typically include bread flour, bacon, cheddar cheese, and other common baking ingredients.
Q: Can I find this recipe on the internet?
You can find the Cheese and Bacon Rolls recipe on websites like www.recipecommunity.com.au and discover other Thermomix recipe platforms.
Q: Are Cheese and Bacon Rolls suitable for a lunchbox?
Yes, these rolls are perfect for a lunchbox. They are savory, delicious, and easily packed for a lunch or snack.
Q: What are some expert tips for making these rolls?
Expert tips for making Cheese and Bacon Rolls may include techniques for achieving light and fluffy rolls, properly measuring ingredients using the Thermomix machine, and other helpful baking advice.
Q: Can I customize this recipe with additional ingredients?
You can customize Cheese and Bacon Rolls by adding your preferred savory fillings or experimenting with different types of cheese and bacon.
Q: Where can I learn to make this recipe easily in my kitchen?
You can learn to make this recipe easily in your kitchen by following step-by-step instructions in the recipe’s preparation or by exploring tutorials and demonstration videos for using the Thermomix machine to make these rolls.
Q: Can I explore other Thermomix recipes related to bread and baking?
Yes, you can explore other recipes related to bread, baking, and savory snacks. The community offers a variety of recipes for different occasions and tastes.
Q: How can I share my experience with this recipe and connect with other users?
You can share your experience making Cheese and Bacon Rolls and connect with other users who have tried this recipe by interacting on recipe platforms, leaving comments, and engaging in discussions with fellow bakers.